A company that has created millions of favorite games, Riot Games has turned 12 years old this week! As a celebration of this, we can see how important moments can be highlighted in recent years.

August 31, 2006, is a very important date, almost a red letter in the lives of players (even if they don’t know it yet). It is true that the favorite of millions, League of Legends have officially been released on October 27, 2009. But Riot Games, which has developed it all and said it was one of the pioneers of online games. It has come a long way from 2006 to date officially as a company. On the occasion of their twelve-year anniversary, we tried to summarize how much has happened during this time.

The fairy-tale beginnings for Riot Games

We’re not joking, really all started as usual in the tale. Brandon “Ryze” Beck and Marc “Tryndamere” Merill, who founded the company, met at the university and first became roommates and later friends. Their common hobby was nothing more than video games. Both of them were frustrated by the fact that most companies develop a game that millions of people love. Instead of building and upgrading a particular game, they start to deal with a completely different one. But then came the divine spark: they jointly set up a company who would listen to fans’ complaints, and try to develop the game around their suggestions.

Riot Games

Credits: Riot Games

The two founders have thus entered the planning stage. They have been inspired by Asian video game designers. The duo also decided that their games will not be pay-to-win. Money won’t be a factor for improvements that would put the players in a better position. Finally, with the help of family, friends and some investors, they managed to raise $ 1.5 million, which was officially formed by Riot Games on August 31, 2006, in the City of Angels (Los Angeles).

Important dates in recent years

Riot Games had to go through a long and hard way to the developers until the official release of the LoL. The first person (Steve “Guinsoo” Feak) from the DotA Allstars team was tempted by the founders, after which they had to get more supporters. In this period, they signed a contract with Tencent, which later became the Chinese distributor of the game. On October 27, 2009, LoL was officially released on the servers. From that day on, the developers monitored players’ feedback and developed the game.

LoL World Championship

Credits: lolesports Flickr

On May 10, 2010, Riot Games officially announced that it was targeting Europe. It established a central office in Brighton (England) and a smaller office in Dublin (Ireland). In February 2011, Tencent bought 93% of the Riot Games in exchange for $ 400 million. Later on December 16, 2015, they bought the remaining 7 percent. This year is still important in the history of the game, as the first official world championship was held (which was broadcast from a room-sized space).

Meanwhile, between 2014 and 2016, the active LoL players increased from 67 million to 100 million. Now the game is a worldwide phenomenon.